2016 & 2017 Roof of the World (RoTW) Regattas
META continues to support the Roof of the World Regatta, where international sailing competitors come to Lake Karakul to participate in the highest sailing event in the world at 3,916m. Over three days the community of Karakul village welcomed and participated in regatta on-shore events and a great time was had by all. The 2017 event was a combined Swimrun and Sailing event from 24 July. All the latest information can be found on the RoTW Regatta Facebook page.
Read a report by Rustem Ilyasov & Tony Nelson
- Ongoing support for home and yurt-stay owners, guides, drivers and porters
- Tourist maps of towns in the region (see resources page)
- Jetty on Karakul lake for summer boat excursions
- Documenting and building awareness of birdlife in the region (updated)
- Short film to highlight responsible tourism in the region
- Preservation of Shakhty cave rock paintings
- Identifying resources to help promote local culture – links to music and dance videos from Rangkul village
- 2014 Roof of the World Regatta
- 2015 Roof of the World Regatta
- Rubbish dump in villages – separate enclosed area for waste disposal to tidy up Rangkul and Toktamish villages
- Build an inventory of camping and trekking equipment to loan to drivers and guides
- Partnering with international organisations to preserve historic sites and protect endangered wildlife and the environment
One of our pleasurable successes in 2013 was in connecting the ‘One Steppe Ahead‘ team with the hunter/herder community in the Eastern Pamir. This led to some interesting stories that are now in the process of being documented in book and film.
META is also working with etc4CA to explore wind as a source of renewable energy in some of the towns and villages in Eastern Pamirs.
300W turbine in Alichur